Tuesday, July 31, 2012

A Little Bit of Cork

Don't worry, I haven't stopped traveling yet this summer.  For the past 10 days I have been in Ireland.  Some of you may ask why, oh why, Travelkat, have you not been blogging about your experiences in the Emerald Isle?  But, alas, I have been here so many times that I don't do much traveling within the country anymore.  I come to visit my amazing sister, Maura, her wonderful husband, Tim, and my two incredible nephews, Ryan (8) and Dylan (4).  They live in a town called Ballincollig, which is really a suburb of Cork City.  It is about 7 miles from the city centre; don't expect me to tell you what side of the city as I am absolutely horrible with directions.  Cory is a lovely city with a rich history and many tourist attractions.  I haven't been to any of them really in a few years, but I will mention a few that stick out in my mind from previous visits.  To get a fantastic view of the city, stop by the Church of St. Anne - Shandon Bells and climb the tower.  You can actually play a tune on the bells in the tower for all the city to enjoy.  Another one of the memorable places I ventured to is the Old City Gaol.  They give you a headset that provides a history of the jail and some of its guests, and there is one frightening bit if you are a nervous Nelly like me!  Walking around the city centre you will find buskers and artists as well as lots of great shops and restaurants.

Now,  I can't tell you the number of times I have heard people say, "the food is terrible in Ireland."  This is a complete fallacy.  Maybe 30 years ago the restaurant selection and quality was not the same as it was in the states (I can't really speak from experience as the 1st time I visited I was 8 and didn't return until I was 21), but the times have changed.  If you hear this from someone, challenge them on it.  A terrific family restaurant with delicious food and a welcoming staff that we visit frequently is Scoozi.  The spicy wings are a favorite of all of us and my two favorite main dishes are the warm spicy salad and the chicken pesto sandwich.  Everyone I have ever dined with here has enjoyed it.  Not too far from Scoozi is the Imperial Hotel.  I only had the opportunity to dine there once and all I remember is that the warm bread pudding is out of this world.  The memory of it has stuck with me for at least 4 years so it must be good.  Cafe Mexican is another terrific spot.  It is tiny so beware if you have children and strollers, but they never made us feel unwelcome with both.  This is the one place in the city where I have found margaritas and as you all know, I love me a margarita!  The best place, in my mind, for coffee is Nosh and Coffee.  They have everything you could want from sandwiches to crepes to hot chocolate.  It's an ideal spot to stop and relax after shopping or touring.  Of course there are loads of pubs to rest in, but I have to plug Counihan's.  Downstairs is a traditional Irish pub and upstairs is a modern pub; the best of both worlds.  It has been a Cork institution for over 200 years.  It is located across from the General Post Office on Pembroke St.

Outside of the city centre, the biggest tourist attraction has to be Blarney Castle.  This is where you can kiss the Blarney Stone and receive the gift of gab.  Now, I have visited Blarney Castle approximately 10 times and have never kissed the stone for 2 reasons.  1.  You have to lay on your back and stick your head off a very high side of the castle.  I don't like heights and am not willing to risk my life just so I can talk more.  I will stick with the writing thank you very much.  2.  There is an urban legend that the locals pee on the stone.  So, if you are not afraid of heights, this idea might stop you from puckering up.  The castle is fun to visit, the stairs are a bit treacherous, and the grounds are beautiful.  Of course, Blarney Woolen Mills is a must stop shopping experience for any tourist looking to buy Irish gifts and souvenirs.  Ryan and I popped in to get 2 gifts for 2 new babies in our families (a Munster jersey and an Ireland Rugby jersey).  As we were waiting to pay, Ryan observed, "there are a lot of Americans in here" and there were.  I pointed out that he too was an American, but he identifies as Irish and he is.  Born and raised here.  Blarney Woolen Mills has everything from the usual Guinness paraphernalia to Aran knit sweaters, to gorgeous sweaters and dresses.  They also have a bar and restaurant there where you find locals and tourist alike.  There also tend to be a lot of older gentlemen patiently waiting for their better halves to finish shopping. 

Speaking of shopping, if you come at this time of the year or after Christmas, the sales are excellent!  I bought 2 gorgeous dresses from Carraig Donn for £65.  They were made in Paris even, ooh-la-la!

I will update again later today or tomorrow with information about our trip to Galway and Bunratty Castle over the weekend.  Irish hospitality is a real and living thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment