Sunday, July 15, 2012

Whiskey in the Jar-O

Late night last night that started off with my first shot of whiskey ever!  That definitely was a sign that it was going to be a crazy night.  Felt like a college student again as we drank wine and had the Jameson shot before we even left the house!  I won't go into all the gory details but will share some of the stories.    Tip 1 for going out in Austin:  Don't feel bad if you feel like a streetwalker when heading into town.  Niamh, Triona, and I headed out and had to cross, via jaywalking, a major street in our dresses and hop on the bus into town.  As we were waiting for the bus, we did get a few strange looks, and a police officer slowed down to make sure he was not needed to clean up Austin.  I have to say, I am 100% certain that I was not confused for a prostitute in my sundress, but I can't really speak for the other two! Sorry, Niamh and Triona.

The Speakeasy was our first stop.  It's a really cool bar that has 3 separate floors with different feels.  The first floor was a typical bar with a Motown band playing.  The second floor was mezzanine, and the top floor was a rooftop deck with comfy couches and an amazing view of the Austin skyline.  We had a light show just for us curtesy of Mother Nature.  One thing I was very unhappy about was the waitress took a $6.00 tip on 3 drinks without even giving me the option to get my money back.  So on the second round, Triona asked for her $4.00 back, and we didn't give her anything.  She did not like that at all, but she had a nerve, and I hate when people assume they can just take your money.  It worked out anyway because we left shortly after that.  Warning:  to get to the top you need to walk up loads of stairs.  Jeany mac that was a lot of stairs.  Jeany mac is a phrase that is not used anywhere else or by anyone else in the WORLD other than the Galway Kellys (Triona, Niamh, and the rest of the gang) as a substitute for an expletive.  Anyway, the stairs can be hazardous in short skirts and high heels.

From there we headed to Rain, which is a gay bar.  It was relatively quiet, but it was relatively early.  There was some cage dancing.  Those of you that know me know I was for sure not one of the cage dancers!  The crowd eventually arrived, and there was a lot of dancing and shots and photos with gay men.

We left the comfort of the gay bar to venture onto 6th Street.  6th Street is like the craziest place I have ever seen.  It seemed to me to be miles and miles of bars.  It is 9 blocks in reality and is open only to pedestrians on the weekends.  First stop here was a traditional Irish bar for a pitstop that turned into a shot stop as well.  Triona and I decided that it would be a fantastic idea to have another shot of whiskey.  Jeany Mac!  Two in one night!  I decided that it would be a great idea to get a lemon and squeeze the juice into the whiskey.  In my mind, people did this all the time.  I think I was really thinking of a hot toddy which it wasn't.  But I think I am onto something . . . lemon is just as helpful to suck on after a shot of whiskey as a shot of tequila.

Moving on down 6th we landed upon the Library.  This is not the library I take my 3rd grade students to.  Lots more dancing, photos of Triona with her mouth open, and drinks.

Really random late night place.  Perhaps the strangest one out there.  It was the pedicab parking place.  Seriously!  It was a huge white barn where all the pedicabs park for the night.  They had a stocked fridge with a list of the beer prices on the door.  They used the honor system.  Crazy!!!!  They also had a full buffet prepared by a little Mexican lady.  It was all free!  Now, the lady didn't allow anyone to take the food before she had everything was ready and out.  But, how long can a travelkat resist an appetizing chicken-on-a-stick before it ends up in her hand behind her back?  Really, y'all understand, but the pedicabbers are a trustworthy bunch, and I saw a few jaws drop when it happened.  Luckily the cook never saw it coming!

As we Kelly girls were strolling around San Antonio today,  I wondered aloud if the Mexican cook wasn't kept there under duress because the food was free.  Triona chimed in that she thought she remembered seeing her ankle chained to the ground.  Maybe those pedicabbers weren't such do gooders after all. . .

Tune in tomorrow for our trip to San Antonio.  Also,  I am trying to be better about reading my blogs before I post them so I can cut down on the grammatical errors.  Number 1 travel companion pointed that out to me.  Sorry y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment